RepositoryLambeth Palace Library
LevelFonds
Alt Ref NoJEMA
Extent2574 microfiche
TitleMicrofiche copy
Date1842-1976
DescriptionJerusalem and the East Mission Archive
ArrangementJerusalem and East Mission - Central Organization
Jerusalem Bishopric
The Assyrian Mission
Cyprus
Egypt and Sudan
Egypt
Sudan
The Gulf
Iran
Iraq
Jordan
North Africa
Syria and Lebanon

The extensive archive is arranged as follows: general administrative, constitutional and financial records; papers and correspondence relating to the work of the Jerusalem bishopric; the records of the Assyrian Mission; the archdeaconry of Cyprus; the diocese of Egypt and Sudan; the archdeaconry and chaplaincies in The Gulf; the diocese of Iran; and papers relating to the Mission's work in Iraq, Jordan, North Africa, Syria and Lebanon.
FindingAidsCatalogue records reproduced by permission of the Middle East Centre Archive. The hard copy guide to the microform collection on which descriptions are based is also available in Lambeth Palace Library reading room (finding aid ref: 15B).
AdminHistoryThe history of the Jerusalem and East Mission begins in 1841 with the foundation of the Jerusalem Bishopric under the joint auspices of Queen Victoria and King Frederick William IV of Prussia. The bishops were nominated alternately by the English and Prussian sovereigns, to be consecrated by Anglican bishops, and to have spiritual jurisdiction over Anglican and Lutheran Christians in Palestine. In 1881, however, a failure to obtain episcopal orders for the Lutherans prepared the way for the withdrawal of Prussia, and the bishopric fell into abeyance for almost six years.

The bishopric was finally reconstituted on a purely Anglican basis and, on the 25th of March 1887, the Venerable Archdeacon Blyth was chosen to fill the vacancy and consecrated Bishop in Jerusalem with jurisdiction over Syria, Egypt, Asia Minor, Cyprus, the region around the Red Sea, and later the Sudan and Iran.

In the early days there was virtually no bishopric property and Bishop Blyth set about raising money by opening the Jerusalem Bishopric Fund - later the Jerusalem and East Mission Fund - for the maintenance and development of work begun with donations given to him by personal friends.

With the aid of the fund the work of the Mission proceeded apace: in 1887, The Beirut Chaplaincy was founded, and educational work began in Lebanon; in 1889, St. Mary's home for orphans was opened in Jerusalem, and a chaplaincy was founded in Cyprus; 1890 saw the beginnings of St. Luke's Mission in Haifa and the building of a church and school in Cairo; in 1894 the foundations were laid for St. George's College, Jerusalem and in 1898 the nave of St. George's Church was consecrated.

In 1914 Bishop Blyth was succeeded by Bishop Rennie Maclnnes who consolidated and extended the work of the Mission, with new ventures into higher education - notably the Jerusalem Girls' College - and medical work at hospitals in Gaza, Nablus, Jaffa, Salt and Hebron. During this period the work of the Mission grew to such an extent that it became necessary to divide the Jerusalem Bishopric, and in 1920 Egypt and the Sudan were separated from Jerusalem to form a new diocese with Llewellyn Gwynne as bishop.

The episcopacies of Bishop Graham-Brown and Bishop Stewart saw a further extension of the Mission's work; in 1939, for example, the Archbishop of Canterbury's Assyrian Mission came fully under the control of the Jerusalem and East Mission. The phenomenal rise of the oil companies in Iraq, and later in The Gulf, brought increasing pastoral responsibilities within its jurisdiction, and the conflicts following the termination of the British Mandate in Palestine saw the Mission turn its attention to providing aid for Arab refugees.

In July 1957, the diocese of Jerusalem became the seat of a province and several dioceses hitherto supervised directly by the Archbishop of Canterbury were assigned to the new Metropolitan, together with those areas where there were churches and chaplaincies under the direction of other English Missionary Societies. At the same time a new diocese of Jordan, Lebanon and Syria was created, and an Arab priest, the Right Reverend Najib Cubaind became its first bishop.
CustodialHistoryCopy of microfiche from IDC (microform publishers), 1994
AcquisitionGiven to Lambeth Palace Library by the Jerusalem and the East Mission Trust, 2011
OriginalsThe original archive is held at the Middle East Centre Archive, St Antony's College, Oxford
RelatedMaterialOther original papers of the Jerusalem and the East Mission are at Lambeth Palace Library, including ref: MSS 2327-2340

Show related Persons records.

Related name records
CodeNameDates
216Jerusalem and the East Mission; 1841-1841-
DS/UK/5119Church of England; Diocese in Jerusalem: Bishop
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021