Authorized Form of NameFaversham Abbey; 1148-1538; Benedictine religious house
Corporate NameFaversham Abbey
TypeOfEntityCorporate
Dates1148-1538
CodeGB/109/9613
EpithetBenedictine religious house
DatesAndPlacesFounded in 1148; dissolved in 1538
RelationshipsColonised by the Cluniac priory of Bermondsey. Listed as Cluniac in Archives de la France Monastique, xl. 174, 206, but the abbots were dispensed from taking the oath of obedience to Cluny.
SourceKnowles and Hadcock, Medieval Religious Houses, (1953) p. 66.

Show related Catalog records.

related catalogue records
OrderNoTitleDateLink
ED 449, 2006, 2070Faversham AbbeyED/4/A/FAV
MS 582 pag. 130Indiculus seu Successio Abbatum Coenobii Fevershamensis. MSS/582/43
CM XI/55Royal licence to the Abbot and Convent of Faversham to exchange their manor of Tring, which they hold of the king in free alms, with the Archbishop of Canterbury [John Stratford], in return for the advowson of Boughton under Blean and Preston next Ospringe, Kent1 June 1340CM/11/55
CM II/55Certificate of reading of archiepiscopal visitation monition [Archbishop Cranmer]. Faversham Abbey. 17 Dec. 1533CM/2/55
P.D. 69Gregory X22 June 1274PD/69
CM III/125Letter of delegation.14 Nov. 1291CM/3/125
MS 5082Register [1454-1486] MSS/5082
CM XII/56Commission by Archbishop Thomas Cranmer to Richard Gwent, Official of the Court of Canterbury, Keeper of the Prerogative, and Commissary, to visit the houses of Faversham, St. Gregory, St. Sepulchre, St. James and Wingham College and the deaneries of Canterbury, Westbury and Sandwich.9 Dec. 1533CM/12/56
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022