RepositoryLambeth Palace Library
LevelSubfonds
Alt Ref NoT
Extent18 series
TitleTEMPORALITIES
Date13th century-
DescriptionThe records of the archbishops' estates in Lambeth Palace Library are divided into two distinct, but overlapping series. The first series, known as the Estate Documents, comprises the court and account rolls relating predominantly to the medieval estates: this was catalogued by Dr. Jane Sayers in 1965 (The estate documents in Lambeth Palace Library. A catalogue). The second and more extensive series, the Temporalities, includes a larger variety of records ranging from leases and other title deeds, accounts, rentals, maps and plans, surveys and valuations to patents of appointment of officials, correspondence, and case papers. There are also a few court rolls, some of which have come to light since the publication of Dr. Sayers' catalogue.
Whereas the Estate Documents illustrate the administration of the medieval estates, the Temporalities concentrate on the estates after the Restoration. Although certain of the estates, such as for example Croydon and Lambeth, belonged to the see of Canterbury throughout, the composition of the estates was drastically altered by the exchanges initiated by Henry VIII with Archbishop Cranmer. Nevertheless the two series complement each other and a study of both is essential for the understanding of the administration of the archiepiscopal estates. In addition the two series overlap each other. For instance, the Lambeth and Croydon court rolls are in the Estate Documents, but original deeds of admission to, and surrender of, copyholds in the manors of Croydon and Lambeth, and the homage jury minute books for the manor of Croydon, 1582-1868, are in the Temporalities. The financial records of the receiver general also span the two collections.
The archiepiscopal estates were concentrated in Kent, Surrey, and Lancashire, with a few properties in Sussex and Buckinghamshire. Apart from the medieval endowments, mainly pre-dating the Norman Conquest, the archbishops' estates incorporated properties of a number of the suppressed monasteries. The Henrician exchanges gave the archbishop most of the estates of Dover priory, St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, and St. Radegund's, Bradsole, and the impropriate rectories of Blackburn, Rochdale and Whalley, formerly belonging to Whalley abbey. Croydon and Lambeth in Surrey, and Chislet, Deal and Dover in Kent account for the majority of the records; the largest single collection of leases relates to Deal.
The records of the Temporalities illustrate the history of the administration of the estates by the archbishops and their officials. For most of the period, the estates were managed by the receiver general on behalf of the archbishop. The receiver general's account books cover all the estates and provide details of the overall income of the see of Canterbury. He was assisted by various estate officials, such as the stewards of the liberties and manors, the woodreeves, and surveyors. Until the 19th century, the estates appear to have been administered from Lambeth Palace where the receiver general was based. The beginnings of the separation of the administration from the Palace can be seen with the use by Archbishop Manners Sutton of the firm of solicitors, Messrs. Forster, Cooke and Frere, to oversee the administration. Yet it is in the primacy that the correspondence of his officials survives in such quantity that the archbishop's preoccupation with the administration of his estates and his attention to detail can best be seen.
Although most of the records originated with the officials, some belonged to the archbishops themselves, and this mixture of origin is reflected particularly in the correspondence. For the late 17th and 18th century, most of the latter comprises the papers of the archbishops, whereas for the early 19th century the correspondence is that of Archbishop Manners Sutton's solicitors. The two have long since been merged, and no attempt has been made to separate them. The list of correspondence does however indicate where there is correspondence of the archbishops as distinct from their officials.
In addition to estate records, the collection includes household accounts and building accounts. There are thirty-one volumes of vouchers for the household expenditure of Archbishop Potter, 1736-47. These accounts throw light on the restoration of the archiepiscopal palaces. Further information is contained in the building accounts. These consist of the accounts for the restoration of the archiepiscopal palaces at Bekesbourne, Canterbury and Ford Park by Archbishop Abbot in 1631-2, and for the rebuilding undertaken by Archbishop Howley at Addington Park and Lambeth Palace, 1829-33.
There are noticeable gaps in the records. For instance, the registers of leases have not survived for the years, 1766-1773, 1806-1827. There are no original leases of the tenements on the waste of the manor of Deal Prebend, 1698-1702, though there is a separate register for covering these years. There are also many losses in the nineteenth century. Some of these lacunae may be accounted for by the practice of dispersing the title deeds on the sale of the property by the archbishop or the Church Commissioners, but this is not the only explanation.
The records of the Temporalities have themselves been enriched by this practice of transferring title deeds on the purchase of an estate. When Archbishop Manners Sutton purchased Addington Park as an archiepiscopal residence in 1808, he received a quantity of title deeds and manorial records dating back to the thirteenth century. These include three mid-thirteenth century grants by the prior, and convent of St. Mary Overy, Southwark.
The Temporalities contain a number of other unexpected items, as for instance the volume of abstracts from Kent cartularies by Sir Edward Dering. This is a sister volume to Stowe Ms.924 in the British Library, and includes abstracts from a cartulary of St. Radegund's abbey, Bradsole, which has not otherwise survived. There are also tithe accounts of Thomas Curteis, rector of Wrotham, 1715-47, and accounts of Charles James Burton, vicar of Lydd, 1842-4.
The records of the Temporalities, many of which had accumulated at Lambeth Palace, were taken over by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners when the estates of the see of Canterbury were vested in them on the death of Archbishop Sumner in 1862. Whilst the records were in the custody of the Church Commissioners, their successor body, they were numbered as part of their archive, each volume, file, or title deed being allocated a separate number. Most of the records of the Temporalities were deposited in the Library in 1960, together with a schedule of deeds. A summary of the schedule was made by Dr. Dorothy Owen in 1962. Since then, the entire collection has been sorted, numbered and listed in detail. Some of former files contained a miscellany of records - correspondence, maps, valuations, and even rentals, and these have been re-arranged into specific categories. The leases have been sorted according to properties: this practice has also been applied to the extensive collection relating to the five hundred tenements in Deal. It is now possible to trace the descent of each tenement.
AppraisalSome weeding of Temporalities correspondence was undertaken.
AccrualsNot accruing
ArrangementTA/1-703 Leases and Title Deeds
TB/1-163 Registers and Schedules of Leases
The series TA (leases) and TB (registers of leases) complement one another. The TA leases are arranged in series by location and within that by property, but the TB volumes are arranged chronologically and so information for particular properties does not appear in the same place. To gather full information for a particular property, it may be necessary to consult both leases in TA and copies of leases in TB volumes.
TC/1-90 Surveys, Views and Valuations
TD/1-354 Maps and Plans
TE/1-62 Rentals
TF/1-252 Estate Accounts
TG/1-59 Household Accounts
TH/1-61 Court Rolls
TK/1-59 Records of Appointment of Officials
TL/1-2 Precedent Books
TM/1-107 Letters Patent and Parliamentary Papers
TN/1-132 Case Papers
TO/1-79 Lambeth Enclosure Papers
TP/1-38 Land Tax Redemption Certificates
TQ/1-7 Tithe Awards
TR/1-37 Correspondence and papers
TS/1-140 Woods: Surveys, Returns, Plans, Accounts, Woodreeves' Patents, and Correspondence.
TT/1 Cartularies
Originally leases were arranged chronologically rather than by property - given the number of separate tenements, this order was not helpful. In the early 19th century the properties were allocated individual reference numbers, which have retained as the key for the arrangement of leases by property. These numbers were also used in the 19th cent. rentals, surveys etc.
LanguageLatin
English
FindingAidsOutline descriptions available on the National Archives Discovery site <http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk> as well as the Library catalogue. This was based on:
Barber, M. Catalogue of the records of the Archiepiscopal Temporalities in Lambeth Palace Library (typescript, 1994).

Full catalogue descriptions in the electronic catalogue incorporate the following:
Card index of surveys, 1599-1862 (TC 17-90).
Card index of maps & plans, 1631-1861 (TD 1-354).
Card index: Croydon & Lambeth copyhold (TH 45-6, 55).
More detailed list of leases and other title deeds arranged in alphabetical order of properties (TA 1-703, TB 1-24) [some draft, some complete], with card index of lessees, in Lambeth Palace Library.

For an earlier catalogue of many of these papers, see 'A catalogue of rolls, papers and books in the Receivers Office at Lambeth, 1780' (LR/F/49a).
AdminHistoryThe composition of the temporalities was extensively changed by the Henrician exchanges whereby Archbishop Cranmer received a number of the former monastic estates in Kent and Lancashire in exchange for some of his more valuable properties in Kent and Surrey (see F.R.H. du Boulay "The Lordship of Canterbury", 1966).

Prior to the death of Archbishop Sumner the estates were administered by officials on behalf of the archbishop; thereafter they were administered by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

LIST OF THE POST-REFORMATION TEMPORALITIES OF THE SEE OF CANTERBURY
The following list provides a guide to the post-Reformation estates of the archbishops of Canterbury. It excludes both the medieval endowments alienated by the series of exchanges between the crown and the archbishops of Canterbury, 1536-1561, and most of the properties which were only temporarily part of the possessions of the see of Canterbury during those same years. In view of the complex nature of some of the former monastic estates granted to the archbishops, this list does not purport to be a definitive list of all the minor properties acquired. An account of the exchanges of land between Archbishop Cranmer and Henry VIII is given by Professor F.R.H. Du Boulay in 'Archbishop Cranmer and the Canterbury Temporalities', E.H.R., 67, (1952), pp.19-36.
The term 'ancient' is used below to describe those estates which belonged to the see of Canterbury before the Reformation, irrespective of the date of their acquisition.
ACRISE, Kent.
Brandred manor, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
ADDINGTON, Surrey.
Addington Park, residence of the archbishop of Canterbury, purchased by Archbishop Manners Sutton in 1808. Further property purchased in 1809 and 1836. Sold by Archbishop Temple in 1898.
ALDINGTON, Kent.
Poulton Stansted alias Poulton manor, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
ALKHAM and CAPEL LE FERNE, Kent.
Alkham rectory, with tithes of Evering alias Great Everden, Satmore and Swingfield, formerly of St. Radegund's abbey, Bradsole, acquired by exchange 1537.
APPLEDORE, Kent.
Appledore rectory, with tithes of Beckard (Becket's Barn) in Fairfield and Kite in Swalecliffe, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
ASH NEXT SANDWICH, Kent.
Ash alias Guilton rectory, with Richborough chapel, formerly of Wingham college, acquired by exchange in 1561.
Goldstone alias Goldstantone rectory, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536.
Overland rectory, formerly of Wingham college, acquired by exchange in 1561.
BARHAM, Kent.
Covert Wood, ancient endowment.
Priory Wood, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
BARHAM and UPPER HARDRES, Kent.
Woodland purchased by Archbishop Sumner in 1859.
BEKESBOURNE, Kent.
Bekesbourne manor, formerly of Christ Church, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1543.
Bekesbourne rectory, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536.
BETHERSDEN, Kent.
Bethersden rectory, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536. Sold with the site of the priory to redeem land tax in 1800.
BILSINGTON, Kent.
Bilsington priory, acquired by exchange in 1537. Alienated to Sir Anthony Leger, 1539, reserving annual rent of £70.
BLACKBURN, Lancs.
Blackburn rectory with chapelries of Low Church alias Walton-le-Dale and Samlesbury, formerly of Whalley abbey, acquired by exchange in 1547. Parts sold during the 19th century.
BOARSTALL and BRILL, Bucks.
Boarstall alias Muzzell Hill Farm, acquired by exchange for Wotton Underwood rectory in 1741.
BOUGHTON UNDER BLEAN, Kent.
Boughton manor, ancient endowment. Sold to redeem land tax in 1800.
BRABOURNE, Kent.
Brabourne rectory, formerly of Horton priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
BREDGAR, BICKNOR and BORDEN, Kent.
Bredgar Chantry, acquired by exchange in 1561.
BRICKHILL, LITTLE, Kent.
Little Brickhill rectory, formerly of Combwell abbey, acquired by exchange in 1543.
BUCKLAND (in Dover), Kent.
Buckland mill, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
Buckland rectory, as above.
Dudmanscombe manor, as above.
Other property in Buckland was acquired with the priory in 1537.
CANTERBURY, Kent.
Archbishop's Palace, ancient endowment.
St. Gregory's priory, with the rectories of St. Dunstan, Northgate and Westgate, acquired by exchange in 1536. Sold to redeem land tax in 1800.
Westgate manor, ancient endowment. Westgate mills were sold to redeem land tax in 1800.
Other property in Canterbury, formerly of Dover priory and Christ Church, was acquired in 1537 and 1542.
CHALLOCK, Kent.
Challock rectory, formerly of Christ Church, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1561.
CHARLTON (in Dover), Kent.
Charlton mill and other land, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
CHISLET, Kent.
Chislet manor, formerly of St. Augustine's abbey, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1540. Roundhill and Treasurers Holt sold to redeem land tax in 1804.
Chislet Park, formerly of St. Augustine's abbey, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1538.
Chislet rectory, formerly of St. Augustine's abbey, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1540.
CHISLET and HOATH, Kent.
Shelvingford manor, formerly of Sir Alexander Culpepper of Bedgebury, Kent, acquired by exchange in 1543.
COLDRED, Kent.
Coldred manor, formerly of Combwell abbey, acquired by exchange in 1543. Homestead and Home meadow purchased by Archbishop Sumner on the surrender of the manor in 1855.
Coldred rectory, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
CROYDON, Surrey.
Croydon manor, ancient endowment.
Croydon palace, ancient endowment, sold by Archbishop Cornwallis in 1781.
Croydon Park, ancient endowment, alienated in 1540 and reacquired in 1547.
Pyrle Mead alias Little Norbury Mead acquired in 1547.
Exchanged under the Croydon Enclosure Act, 1800.
Selhurst manor, formerly of Malling abbey, exchanged in 1540.
Waddon manor with mills, ancient endowment.
DEAL, Kent.
Court Ash manor, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
Deal Prebend manor, ancient endowment.
Other property in Deal, formerly of St. Augustine's abbey, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1542.
DETLING, Kent.
Detling tithery, glebe and barn, formerly of Maidstone college, acquired by exchange in 1561.
DOVER, Kent.
Dover priory estates, acquired by exchange in 1537.
See also Buckland and Charlton above.
DOVER and GUSTON, Kent.
Barton manor, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
DUNKIRK, Kent.
North and South Bishopsden Woods, ancient endowment.
ELMSTED, Kent.
Elmsted rectory, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536.
FOLKESTONE, Kent.
Abbots Cliffe, acquired by exchange in [1537].
Folkestone rectory, with tithes in Fleet and wards called Waterditch, Cliff, Caldam, Uppingwell (Up Hill), Hawkinge and Eastbrook, formerly of Folkestone priory, acquired by exchange in 1561. Sold to redeem land tax in 1800.
GRAVENEY, Kent.
Graveney rectory, formerly of Southwark priory, acquired by exchange in 1561.
GUSTON, Kent.
Frith manor, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
Guston manor, as above.
Guston rectory, as above.
GUSTON and EAST LANGDON, Kent.
Pising manor, formerly of St. Radegund's abbey, Bradsole, acquired by exchange in 1537.
HARBLEDOWN, Kent.
Poldhurst tithes, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536.
HASTINGLEIGH, Kent.
Two acres formerly of Sir John Baker, acquired by exchange in 1547.
HAWKINGE, Kent.
Flegis Court, formerly of St. Radegund's abbey, Bradsole, acquired by exchange in 1537.
HERNHILL, Kent.
Hernhill rectory, formerly of Faversham abbey, acquired by exchange in 1561.
HOUGHAM, Kent.
Farthingloe manor, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
Hougham rectory, as above.
Siberston tithes, as above.
Other property in Hougham was acquired with the site of Dover priory in 1537.
KENNINGTON, Kent.
Kennington rectory, formerly of St. Augustine's abbey, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1561.
LAMBETH, Surrey.
Lambeth manor, ancient endowment.
Lambeth Palace, ancient endowment.
Lambeth Wick manor, ancient endowment.
Forty-two acres of land, formerly of Christ Church, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1542.
LANGDON, EAST, Kent.
Abbots Dane, (eight acres), acquired by exchange in [1537].
LEEDS and BROOMFIELD, Kent.
Leeds rectory, with Broomfield chapel, formerly of Leeds priory, acquired by exchange in 1561.
LENHAM, Kent.
Lenham rectory, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536.
LEYSDOWN, Kent.
Leysdown rectory, formerly of St. Radegund's abbey, Bradsole, acquired by exchange in 1537.
LITTLEBOURNE, Kent.
Littlebourne manor, formerly of St. Augustine's abbey, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1547.
LOOSE, Kent.
Loose tithery and barn, formerly of Maidstone college, acquired by exchange in 1561.
LYDD, Kent.
Lydd rectory, formerly of Tintern abbey, Mons., acquired by exchange in 1561.
LYDDEN, Kent.
Lydden manor, formerly of Langdon abbey, acquired by exchange in 1547.
Lydden rectory, as above.
MAIDSTONE, Kent.
Maidstone rectory with Little Wester (Westree) and Loddington tithes, formerly of Maidstone college, acquired by exchange in 1561.
MARDEN, Kent.
Marden rectory, formerly of Sheen priory, Surrey, acquired by exchange in 1561.
NACKINGTON, Kent.
Nackington rectory, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536. Sold with the site of the priory to redeem land tax in 1800.
NEWINGTON NEXT HYTHE, Kent.
Combe manor, formerly of St. Radegund's abbey, Bradsole, acquired by exchange in 1537.
NONINGTON, Kent.
Curlswood Park, ancient endowment.
Nonington rectory, formerly of Wingham college, acquired by exchange in 1561.
NORTHBOURNE and LITTLE MONGEHAM, Kent.
Ashley Grange, formerly of St. Augustine's abbey, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1542.
NORTHBOURNE and LITTLE MONGEHAM (cont):
Northbourne almonry, with Betteshanger and Finglesham tithes, formerly of St. Augustine's abbey, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1540.
OARE, Kent.
Oare rectory, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536.
OXNEY, Kent.
Oxney rectory, formerly of Langdon abbey, acquired by exchange in 1537.
PETHAM, Kent.
Buckholt Wood, ancient endowment.
Swarling tithes, formerly of Malling abbey, acquired by exchange in 1540.
PORTSLADE, Sussex.
Portslade rectory, formerly of St. Radegund's abbey, Bradsole, acquired by exchange in 1537.
POSTLING, Kent.
Postling rectory, formerly of St. Radegund's abbey, Bradsole, acquired by exchange in 1537.
RECULVER, Kent.
Lords Lands, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
RECULVER and HERNE, Kent.
Ford park, ancient endowment.
Reculver rectory, with Herne and Hoath chapelries, ancient endowment.
RIVER, Kent.
Coperland, formerly of St. Radegund's abbey, Bradsole, acquired by exchange in 1537.
Crabble mill, as above.
River rectory, as above.
ROCHDALE, Lancs.
Rochdale rectory, with Saddleworth and Butterworth chapelries, formerly of Whalley abbey, acquired by exchange in 1547.
ROLVENDEN, Kent.
Wasteground at Layne alias Layne Green, [acquired by exchange in 1537].
RUCKINGE, Kent.
Maison Dieu Brook, formerly of St. Mary's hospital, Dover, acquired by exchange in 1547.
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, Thanet (later MARGATE), Kent.
Salmstone Grange, formerly of St. Augustine's abbey, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1561.
ST. LAWRENCE and ST. PETERS, Thanet, Kent.
Newland Grange, formerly of St. Augustine's abbey, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1547.
ST. MARGARET AT CLIFFE, Kent.
Reach manor, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
St. Margaret's rectory, as above.
ST. NICHOLAS AT WADE, Kent.
St. Nicholas at Wade rectory, ancient endowment.
SELLINGE alias SELLINDGE, Kent.
Sellinge rectory, formerly of St. Mary's hospital, Dover, acquired by exchange in 1561.
SHOLDEN, Kent.
Hull manor, formerly of St. Augustine's abbey, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1542.
Sholden rectory, as above.
SIBERTSWOLD, Kent.
Sibertswold manor, formerly of St. Radegund's abbey, Bradsole, acquired by exchange in 1537.
Sibertswold rectory, as above.
West Court manor, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
SITTINGBOURNE, Kent.
Sittingbourne rectory, formerly of St. Mary's priory, Clerkenwell, acquired by exchange in 1561.
STALISFIELD, Kent.
Stalisfield rectory, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536.
STOKE ST. MILBOROUGH, Salop.
Kingston in, formerly of Wenlock priory, acquired by exchange in 1542, alienated in 1561.
Stoke St. Milborough manor, as above.
STOURMOUTH, Kent.
Northcourt Farm, purchased by Archbishop Sumner in 1862.
SUTTON, EAST, Kent.
East Sutton rectory, formerly of Maidstone college, acquired by exchange in 1561.
SUTTON VALENCE, CHART SUTTON and LANGLEY, Kent.
Warehorn manor, formerly of St. Radegund's abbey, Bradsole, acquired by exchange in 1537.
THANINGTON, Kent.
Thanington rectory, with other land in, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536. Sold with the site of the priory to redeem land tax in 1800.
Land formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
THORNLEY WITH WHEATLEY, Lancs.
Land purchased by Archbishop Sancroft from John Starkie, esq., to augment Blackburn vicarage and chapelries of Balderstone, Darwen, Great Harwood, Langho, Mellor, Samlesbury, Tockholes, Walton-le-Dale and Witton, 1686.
TILMANSTONE, Kent.
Tilmanstone rectory, formerly of the hospital of St. John of Jerusalem, acquired by exchange in 1561.
TONGE, Kent.
Tonge rectory, formerly of Langdon abbey, acquired by exchange in 1537.
UPWALTHAM and EARTHAM, Sussex.
Brewerton alias Roughton Wood, formerly of Bruton priory, Somerset, acquired by exchange in [mid 16th century].
WALDERSHARE, Kent.
Southwood, formerly of Langdon abbey, acquired by exchange in 1537.
Waldershare rectory, formerly of Langdon abbey, acquired by exchange in 1537.
WALMER, Kent.
Walmer rectory formerly of Langdon abbey, acquired by exchange in 1537.
WALTHAM, Kent.
Waltham rectory, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536.
WESTBERE, Kent.
Rushbourne tithes, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536.
WESTWELL, Kent.
Leacon alias Lecton manor, formerly of Malling abbey, acquired by exchange in 1540.
Westwell manor, formerly of Christ Church, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1542. Alienated in 1561.
Westwell rectory, formerly of Christ Church, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1542.
WESTWELL and CHALLOCK, Kent.
Longbeech Wood, formerly of Christ Church, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1542.
WHALLEY, Lancs.
Whalley rectory with chapelries of Burnley, Altham, Clitheroe, Colne, Downham, Haslingden, Little Bowland, Padiham, Pendle, Rossendale, and Trawden, formerly of Whalley abbey, acquired by exchange in 1547. Sold to redeem land tax in 1799.
WHITFIELD alias BEAUXFIELD, Kent.
Whitfield rectory, formerly of Combwell abbey, acquired by exchange in 1543.
WHITSTABLE, Kent.
Whitstable rectory, formerly of Pleshey abbey, Essex, acquired by exchange in 1561. Sold to redeem land tax in 1799.
WINGHAM, Kent.
Dambridge, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
WOMENSWOLD, Kent.
Womenswold rectory, formerly of Wingham college, acquired by exchange in 1561.
Woolwich Wood, ancient endowment.
WORTH, Kent.
Worth Minnis, formerly of Dover priory, acquired by exchange in 1537.
WOTTON UNDERWOOD, Bucks.
Wotton Underwood rectory, formerly of St. Gregory's priory, Canterbury, acquired by exchange in 1536. Sold in exchange for Boarstall Farm in 1741.
WYE, Kent.
Crophill tithes, formerly of Battle abbey, Sussex, acquired by exchange in 1561.
Wye rectory, as above.
CustodialHistoryLargely composed of documents held by the Vicar General's Office on behalf of the Receiver General. Transferred to LPL by the Church Commissioners at Millbank in Apr-Dec 1960. Later deposits up to early 1980s. Ecclesiastical/Church Commissioners numbers not retained.
RelatedMaterialFor earlier records, see the Estate Documents (ED series).

See also Commonwealth (COMM).

Much of the 19th century material did not pass to Lambeth Palace Library.

Church Commissioners archive (Church of England Record Centre) includes post-1862 records of the administration of the estates.

Other Deal records at the Centre for Kentish Studies.

These form part of the archives of the Archbishops of Canterbury, which also comprise: Archbishops' papers (AP), Bishops' Meetings records (BM), Cartae Antiquae et Miscellaneae (Lambeth Charters) (CM), Convocation records (Conv), Court of Arches records (Arches), Faculty Office records (F), Lambeth Conference papers (LC), and Vicar General records (V). They relate in particular to Cartae Miscellaneae (CM).

Show related Persons records.

Related name records
CodeNameDates
DS/UK/4394Archbishop of Canterbury
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021