RepositoryLambeth Palace Library
LevelFonds
Alt Ref NoNC
Extent16 boxes
TitleNikaean Club
Date1925-2008
DescriptionThe Nikaean Club originated in 1925, following a banquet in London to mark the sixteenth centenary of the First Ecumenical Council of the Christian Church held in Nicæa in 325, for members of clergy visiting for the anniversary service at Westminster Abbey. The founder of the Club was Canon John Douglas and its purpose was to entertain ecumenical guests of the Archbishop of Canterbury during their visits to the country. Douglas resigned his post as Entertainments Officer in 1948 following disagreements on how the Club was to be run, and was succeeded in the post by Canon Herbert Waddams. Since its foundation, membership of the Club was invitation only, for Anglicans with an interest in ecumenism. In 1957, subscriptions for members of the Club were introduced in order to cover the costs. In the 1970s, which saw the Club's Jubilee in 1975, its purpose and structure was again reviewed, including a survey sent to all members in 1976. In 1992, the Nikæan Club founded a charitable trust, The Nikaean Ecumenical Trust, to finance study trips made by members of Christian Churches from overseas.

The two largest events of the year are the AGM that also hosts an Evensong and Reception and the Annual Dinner. Other events are the Pre York Synod dinner and the annual Eucharist and Reception. Other dinners are held on an ad hoc basis depending on the guests of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
LanguageEnglish
French
CreatorNameThe Nikaean Club
AdminHistoryFor more information on the Nikaean Club and its history, see its website: http://nikaeanclub.org.uk

See also:
Gordon Huelin, 'The Nikaean Club 1926-1986: a history of these years' (1986) [Lambeth Palace Library H5013.N5(H8)]
Brenda Hough, 'Notes towards a history of the Nikaean Club' (2001) [Lambeth Palace Library H5013.N5H6]
AcquisitionGiven to the Library by the Nikaean Club in 2015
RelatedMaterialRelates to other collections on ecumenical relations in the Library including the Douglas papers, and material in the printed book collection

Show related Persons records.

Related name records
CodeNameDates
GB/109/6760Nikaean Club; 1926-1926-
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021