RepositoryLambeth Palace Library
LevelSubfonds
Alt Ref NoMU/RE
Extent18 volumes, 5 files
TitleReligious Education Department
Date1911-1975
DescriptionFrom 1906 the religious education work of the MU was handled by the Literature Committee. In 1914 in order to avoid confusion, the Literature Sub-committees 1 and 2 were in future to be known as the Publications and Religious Education Committees. The latter was charged with considering the merits of all manuscripts concerned with religious education sent to the MU for publication. In 1920 the Central Council created a department to deal with education. The Education Department had various sub-committees of which the Religious Education and Book Supply was but one. In 1925 the name of the department was changed from Education to Religious Education and Literature (REAL); the name was shortened in 1937 with 'Literature' being taken out of its title. Between 1953 and 1956 the Religious Education Department was combined with the Speakers' Department. The Religious Education Department continued to operate from 1956 to 1974. In that year, a new Education Department was created bringing together the work previously done by the RE and Speakers' Departments.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022