RepositoryLambeth Palace Library
LevelSubfonds
Alt Ref NoMU/CC
Extent34 volumes, 45 files and a card index drawer
TitleCentral Council
Date1892-1999
DescriptionUntil 1896 the MU existed only in the form of diocesan organisations. From 1893 the need for a central body was recognised. Diocesan presidents began to meet to organise conferences and to share ideas and resolve problems. This Committee of Presidents however lacked legitimacy as a central body. In 1896 a constitution was drawn up which brought into being a central council and central president. Initially consisting of diocesan presidents and some elected members, over the years its membership increased. From being a merely advisory body, it became, after 1912, legally responsible for all the organisation's activities. In 1994 the Central Council was replaced by a board of trustees.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022