RepositoryLambeth Palace Library
LevelSubfonds
Alt Ref NoMS 3917-3969
Extent52 files
TitleCommunity of the Holy Rood
Date1883-1992
DescriptionAll places in the catalogue to these records are in North Yorkshire unless otherwise stated.
AdminHistoryThe Community of the Holy Rood (formerly known as the Christ Church Sisterhood) was founded in 1858 in Coatham by Mrs. Teresa Newcomen. From the beginning the Sisters worked closely with the Middlesbrough Cottage Hospital (later the North Ormesby Hospital), and they opened a home in Coatham for orphan and destitute children in 1867. After several moves, the community settled in 1923 in Grove Hill, Marton Road, Middlesbrough, opening a new convent in Marton Road in 1934. After the closure of the orphanage in 1948 the Sisters ran a nursing home, finally moving to Sowerby, near Thirsk in 1979.
AcquisitionPresented by the Community of the Holy Rood upon its closure in 1992.
RelatedMaterialThe following items have been transferred to the Department of Printed Books:
CHR annual newsletter, 1926, 1953, 1960, 1964-1992.
Holy Rood Orphanage annual reports, 1881-83, 1886-87, 1897-98, 1921.
North Ormesby Hospital annual reports, 1859-1919, 1921.
God Thorn by Sister Jean, 1981.
History of North Ormesby Hospital 1858-1948 by G. Stout (1989).

Show related Persons records.

Related name records
CodeNameDates
NA2802Community of the Holy Rood; 1858-; sisterhood1858-
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022