RepositoryLambeth Palace Library
LevelFile
Alt Ref NoMS 2723
TitleMiscellaneous petitions and proposals
Date1713-1732
Description4 February 1713. Petition by William Knight, of London, to be employed as a plumber (f.1).
7 October 1713. Petition by Robert Jeffes and John James, carpenters, for payment for work on the foundations of Westminster church, and for the roof, which is almost ready for lead, of the church in Greenwich (f.3).
[14 October 1713]. Petition for payment by William Tufnell [and Thomas Hues], bricklayers, for walling two burial grounds and the church in Westminster (f.5).
[4 November 1713]. Petition [by the same] for payment for walling two burial places near the Pinner of Wakefield, for which the carriage of bricks from Shoreditch, Islington, and St. Giles is a great expense, and for the church at Westminster (f.7).
[4 November 1713]. Estimate [by the same] of brickwork in walling two churchyards near the Pinner of Wakefield (f.9).
15 December 1713. Proposals by James Barratt, of Brandford [Brentford], for making bricks with and without `Spanish' (f.11).
16 December 1713. Proposals by John Neale for making bricks `without Spanish' (f.13).
[16 December 1713]. Proposals by Thomas Atkins for making bricks at Kentish Town, where there is `extraordinary good earth' (f.33).
[20 January 1714]. Proposals by Thomas Rogers for making bricks without Spanish coal ash, using land near Kentish Town (f.14).
[9 February 1714]. Proposals by Richard Waterman, of Old Brentford, for making bricks `without Spanish' (f.15).
[17 March 1714]. Memorial by Edward Strong jr. and Edward Tufnell stating that they have much stone worked for the churches at Deptford and Westminster when the bricklayers are directed to proceed (f.17).
20 March 1714. Proposals by Ralph Michell, of Epsom, to provide white freestone. Much was used on St. Paul's (f.18).
29 April 1714. Petition for payment by Edward Tufnell and Edward Strong jr., masons (f.19).
[13 May 1714]. Petition by the Company of Tilers and Bricklayers concerning the difficulty of controlling the quality of bricks. The badness of bricks is due to the mixing of ashes, commonly called Spanish, which began about 40 years since in fields dunged with ashes after the Great Fire;
such bricks are cheaper to fire;
the quantity of Spanish is increased by the practice of strewing houses with sand (11 signatures) (ff.21v-22).
[13 May 1714]. Petition for payment by [Thomas Hues and William Tufnell] for brickwork in the new church in Westminster and the burial ground in the Pinder of Wakefield (f.23).
[27 May 1714]. Petition for payment by Robert Jeffs and John James for carpenters' work on the new churches at Greenwich and Westminster (f.25).
1 July 1714. Certificate by Thomas Hinton `for my master Mr. Nich. Hawksmoor' of work by George Norris, digger, and a petition by Norris for digging foundations at Westminster, the Strand, and Spitalfields (f.28). Also another certificate and petition of the same, [15 July 1714] (ff.29-30).
29 July 1714. Certificate by Thomas Hinton of ironwork done at Greenwich, Westminster, Deptford, and St. George's cemetery (f.31), with petition for payment for the same by John Skeat (f.32).
[1714]. Proposals by Edward Strong jr. and Edward Tufnell for masons' work in church in Limehouse and Upper Wapping (f.98v).
[6 April 1715]. Petition by Richard Goodchild and Thomas Slemaker, bricklayers, claiming that only a small quantity of bad bricks was delivered to the churches at Spitalfields, Limehouse, and Upper Wapping, where the commission has stopped the bricklayers' work (f.35).
[31 May 1715]. Certificate by Nicholas Hawksmoor and James Gibbs of sums due to John Skeat (f.36), with a petition for payment by Skeat, [31 May 1715] (f.37).
[18 July 1716]. Petition for payment by Edward Strong jr., Edward Tufnell, John Townsend, and Thomas Dunn, masons (f.39).
31 August 1716. Proposals by Thomas Denning to undertake carpenter's work in three churches in Stepney (f.41).
[27 March 1717]. Petition by Richard Evans for gratuity for hanging tapestry in the Banqueting House, Whitehall, for the commission's sessions (f.43).
[3 April 1718]. Petition for payment by various workmen (f.45).
9 April 1719. Petition for payment (22 signatures) (ff.47v-48).
[6 May 1719]. Petition by Richard Goodchild, bricklayer, for amendment of his contract. The towers at Limehouse and Wapping are so high that the labourers, who have to carry the materials, cannot earn the petitioner above half the wages he pays. Masons employed on the churches are allowed extra for all materials carried above 40 feet (f.49).
21 July 1719. Petition for payment by various workmen (f.52).
19 November 1719. Petition for payment (f.53).
26 November 1719. Petition for payment (f.55).
7 April 1720. Petition for payment (f.57).
27 October 1720. Petition for payment (f.59).
[9 November 1721]. Petition for payment (f.61).
[11 July 1722]. Petition by John Grove, carpenter, for payment for work at Limehouse, Wapping, and Spitalfields, the latter of which took from 1718 (f.63).
[1723]. Proposals by John Simmons for joiner's work in church in Westminster (ff.80-81v).
[1724]. Petition for payment by various workmen (f.64).
1 May 1724. Petition for payment by Isaac Mansfield for plasterer's work in churches in Spitalfields, Hanover Square, and Westminster (f.65).
13 July 1724. Petition for payment by Chrisostom Wilkins, plasterer, for Wapping (f.67).
13 July 1724. Petition for payment by George Whetten for bricklayer's work in church in Great George Street (f.68).
13 July 1724. Petition for payment by Isaac Mansfield for plasterer's work in churches in Westminster, Spitalfields, and Hanover Square (f.69).
13 July 1724. Petition for payment by Thomas Holden for joiner's work in church at Limehouse (f.71).
27 July 1724. Petition for payment by Edward Strong jr. (f.72).
10 August 1724. Petition for payment by Stephen Whitaker for digging Bloomsbury and Hanover Square churches (f.74).
[12 October 1724]. Proposals by Thomas Goff for making locks (ff.75-6).
[1724]. Petition by John Cleave, smith, for himself and Rachel Skeat, widow, against abatement of his bill (f.77).
[18 April 1725]. Petition by Ezekiel Cook for payment for supplying timber to the late John Grove (f.78).
22 April 1726. Petition for payment by various workmen (f.82).
[2 December 1726]. Petition for payment (ff.84v-85).
[2 December 1726]. Petition by John Cleave, smith, and Rachel Skeat, whom Hawksmoor has ceased to employ (f.86r-v).
[1726]. `John Cleave's answer to Mr. Hawksmoor's paper...' (ff.88-93).
24 June 1728. Petition for payment by various workmen (f.94).
20 April 1732. Petition for payment by Christopher Cass and Andrews Jelfe, masons (f.96).
[-]. Petition by James Grove for payment for carpenter's work in churches in Spitalfields and Deptford (f.100).
[-]. Petition for payment by George Osmond, plumber (f.102v).
[-]. Petition by George Whetten, bricklayer, defending himself against the charge by John James of slovenly work (f.104).
[-]. Petition for payment by various workmen (f.106).
[-]. Petition for payment (f.108).
[-]. Petition for payment by John Belshaw, joiner (f.110).
[-]. Case of workmen and other contractors for payment (f.111r-v).
111 ff.
CopiesMicrofilm: Lambeth Palace Library MS Film 1180

Available from World Microfilms Publications:
Lambeth Palace Library: The Queen Anne Churches. Reel 11 (with MSS. 2721, 2722, 2724)
PublnNoteBill, E.G.W. (comp.), with H. Colvin "The Queen Anne Churches: a catalogue of the papers in Lambeth Palace Library of the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches in London and Westminster;" London: Mansell, 1979. xxiv, 255p. [R Z6622.L6L2]
Colvin, Howard 'Fifty New Churches' in "The Architectural Review" no. 639, vol. CVII March 1950.
Colvin, Howard 'Architectural History and its Records' in "Archives" Michaelmas 1955 pp. 300-11.
de la Ruffiniere du Prey, Pierre "Hawksmoor's London Churches: Architecture and theology" 2000.
Dietl, Peter "Nicholas Hawksmoor (1661-1736), Kirchenbauten: Hawksmorrs Arbeiten fuer die Commission for Building Fifty New Churches" 2000 [H5195.L8]
Churches" 2000 [H5195.L8]
Friedman, Terry 'Oratorial machines for furniture historians' in "Furniture History" 1997

Show related Places records.

Related place records
CodeSet
PL250Cathedral Church of St Paul/City of London
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021