RepositoryLambeth Palace Library
LevelSubfonds
Alt Ref NoMS 2327-2340
Extent13 files
TitlePAPERS OF THE JERUSALEM AND THE EAST MISSION FUND
Date1844-1936
DescriptionThe collection contains a quantity of papers of Samuel Gobat and George Francis Popham Blyth, Bishops in Jerusalem, in addition to papers of J.E.M.F.
CreatorNameJerusalem and the East Mission
Jerusalem and the East Mission Fund
AdminHistoryThe Jerusalem and East Mission was founded in 1841 to support the Anglican Bishopric in Jerusalem. It fell into abeyance in 1881, but was reconstituted in 1887. A year later the Jerusalem and the East Mission Fund was established. Until the abeyance, the Mission was partially Lutheran; thereafter it was solely Anglican. The Mission worked principally in Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, the Lebanon, North Africa (including Algeria, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia), Sudan and Syria. In 1939 the Archbishop of Canterbury's Mission to the Assyrian Christians was incorporated into the Jerusalem and East Mission.
AcquisitionDonated by the Jerusalem and East Mission Fund, 1969.
RelatedMaterialLambeth Palace Library: 11 volumes of papers of Bishop Blyth which include much correspondence on the Jerusalem and the East Mission Fund (MSS. 2227-2237), as well as the archive of the Archbishop's Mission to the Assyrian Christians. Other archives of the J.E.M.F. at the Middle East Centre, St Anthony's College, University of Oxford.

Show related Persons records.

Related name records
CodeNameDates
192Jerusalem and the East Mission Fund; 1888-1888-
216Jerusalem and the East Mission; 1841-1841-
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021