RepositoryChurch of England Record Centre
LevelSeries
Alt Ref NoMEC/MISS/CBMS
Extent17 files
TitleConference of British Missionary Societies (CBMS)
Date1963-1970
AdminHistoryThe Conference of Missionary Societies in Great Britain and Ireland, commonly known as the Conference of British Missionary Societies (CBMS), was founded in 1912 with a membership of more than 40 Protestant missionary societies. It grew out of the Continuation Committee established as a result of the World Missionary Conference held in Edinburgh in 1910, which aimed to encourage the foundation of national co-operative councils for mission. For many years the CBMS shared premises (acquired in 1918), Edinburgh House (in Belgravia, near Sloane Square, London), with the Continuation Committee, which became known as the International Missionary Council in 1921. The CBMS was not itself a missionary society, but its archive documents how home missionary organisations co-operated with contacts abroad, show the public face of missionary activity, and also offer evidence on contemporary social and political, as well as religious, events. It held an annual conference, and a standing committee (later council) met quarterly. There were also specialized committees. In 1977 the CBMS became a division of the British Council of Churches and it is now known as the Churches' Commission on Mission.

Show related Persons records.

Related name records
CodeNameDates
DS/UK/6087Conference of Missionary Societies in Great Britain and Ireland; 1912-19781912-1978
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021