RepositoryLambeth Palace Library
LevelFonds
Alt Ref NoLR
Extent321 files
TitleLIBRARY RECORDS
Date1610-
DescriptionA miscellaneous collection of material on the history of Lambeth Palace Library, including obsolete catalogues. These range from the earliest, which provides a catalogue of the books and manuscripts of the Library's founder Archbishop Bancroft in 1610 and includes an account of the Library's foundation, to those of previous Lambeth Librarians (Paul Colmies, David Wilkins, A.C. Ducarel, S.R. Maitland and S.W. Kershaw).

Also included are letter-books of Claude Jenkins (Lambeth Librarian), mainly 20th cent. correspondence, a few visitors' books, and annual reports.
AccessConditions30 year rule. Records less than 30 years old are generally closed.
FindingAidsIn 2015 Dr Richard Palmer undertook a project to re-catalogue the historic finding aids of the Library (within series LR/F) to 1785 (the death of the Librarian A C Ducarel) funded by the Friends of the Library. A further project was undertaken in 2016 on the Library's records from 1785 to 1952. See the two sets of research guides (1610-1785, 1785-1952) produced by these projects on the Library's website: http://www.lambethpalacelibrary.org/content/libraryhistory
AdminHistoryNumerous publications on Lambeth Palace Library - see subject guide on Library website:
http://www.lambethpalacelibrary.org/files/Library_History.pdf

Also:
'The book collector'. Volume 20, No.4, Winter 1971. London: The Collector. 441-584p., plates; illus. Article on Lambeth Palace Library, p.507-8. [Lambeth Palace Library Z792.L2B6]
J.R. Green, 'Stray Studies' (1876) [Lambeth Palace Library KG427.G7]
CustodialHistoryAlso referenced L.R.
RelatedMaterialAT LAMBETH PALACE LIBRARY
Other papers on the history of the Library includes material in the Archbishops' Papers.

There is a series of plans of the Library buildings (e.g. inner courtyard, muniment room, Morton's Tower) and fittings e.g. shelving for the postwar period, 1940s-1950s [Seely and Paget], in the Prints sequence: Prints XV/130-137.

Microfiche copy of printed books catalogue (Chadwyck-Healey); microfilm copies of early printed books catalogue, 1976.

Later records are accessioned in Accessions database (particularly Acc 2010-25), but uncatalogued.

Note that LR is also a location reference 'Long Rolls' used for the separate estate documents series (ref: ED).

ELSEWHERE
There is information on the Library among files on Lambeth Palace among the Church Commissioners records at the Church of England Record Centre.

The Library website has been archived since 2005 at the UK web archive: http://www.webarchive.org.uk/ukwa
PublnNoteRichard Palmer, "Reginald Dodwell, Lambeth Librarian, 1953-1958" in 'Medieval Art: recent perspectives: a memorial tribute to C. R. Dodwell', ed. G. R. Owen-Crocker and T. Graham (1998) [R5975.O9].

Show related Persons records.

Related name records
CodeNameDates
618Lambeth Palace Library; 1610-1610-
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021