RepositoryChurch of England Record Centre
LevelFonds
Alt Ref NoCCH
Extent174 booklets, 167 documents, 145 files, 88 volumes, 9 boxes, 6 albums, 3 plans and 1 photograph
TitleCorporation of Church House
Date1798 - 2003
DescriptionThe Corporation of Church House collection contains materials relating to the formation and operation of the Corporation of Church House between 1888 and 2003. The collection contains written and typed notes, correspondence, newspaper cuttings, reports, minutes books, deeds and leases, photographic materials, books and articles arranged into the following series:

- Annual reports
- Constitution and Governance
- Church House Site, Furnishings and Buildings
- Property Deeds, Leases and Licences
- Finance
- Historical Books and Images
- Leases and Lettings by The Corporation of Church House
- The Corporation of Church House Council
- Committees and Sub-Committees
- Operational Records
- Preliminary Dealings
LanguageEnglish
AdminHistoryThe Corporation of The Church House was founded as the Church of England's permanent tribute to Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. The man who developed the idea, Dr Harvey Goodwin (Bishop of Carlisle), saw it as the national administrative headquarters and likened it to a "chapter-house for the Church of England".

Land was quickly acquired in Dean's Yard, close to the Palace of Westminster and Westminster Abbey, but the existing tenancies meant that only a fraction of the original design could be built in the early 1890's. The original gothic-style buildings were demolished in the 1930s and replaced with the current Church House in 1937.

During World War II Church House survived a bombing and was requisitioned by Parliament to serve as an alternate location for both the House of Commons and the House of Lords. In the years immediately following the war Church House was used:

By the War Crimes Commission for the preparation of evidence for the subsequent trials at Nuremberg
For the preparation of the United Nations Charter
The first sitting of the United Nations Security Council
The inaugural meeting of the United Nations Maritime Organisation, now located on the South Bank.

Show related Persons records.

Related name records
CodeNameDates
DS/UK/6100Corporation of Church House; 1888-1888-
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2022